Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary Pages (PDF, 3.0MB)
- What good condition? (PDF, 39KB) Peter Read
- Foreword (PDF, 48KB) Larissa Behrendt
- Put not your faith in princes (or courts) – agreements made from asymmetrical power bases: the story of a promise made to Western Australia’s Aboriginal people (PDF, 172KB) Steven Churches
- National encounters between Indigenous and settler peoples: some Canadian lessons (PDF, 193KB) Ravi de Costa
- Doubts about the treaty (PDF, 117KB) Peter Read
- Reflections on the history of Indigenous people’s struggle for human rights in Australia – what role could a treaty play? (PDF, 132KB) William Jonas
- The political aspects of creating a treaty (PDF, 183KB) Roderic Pitty
- From enforceability to feel-good: notes on the prehistory of the recent treaty debate (PDF, 181KB) Tim Rowse
- The challenge for Australia: reconciling the treaty (PDF, 134KB) Sue Stanton
- A treaty for whom? (PDF, 81KB) Eddie Mabo Jnr
- What is a treaty? (PDF, 164KB) Michael Dodson
- Treaty: advancing reconciliation? (PDF, 138KB) The Hon David Malcolm AC
- International Human Rights: bases for Indigenous rights (PDF, 218KB) Garth Nettheim
- Consent: common law and native title (PDF, 122KB) Stephen W Robson
- ‘Treaty’: what’s in a name? (PDF, 118KB) The Hon Justice Michael Barker
- Customary Law and treaty (PDF, 104KB) The Hon Justice Ralph Simmonds
- Missed meanings: the language of sovereignty in the treaty debate (PDF, 161KB) Lisa Strelein
- Regional agreements, higher education and representations of Indigenous Australian reality (PDF, 160KB) Greg McConville
- Native title holding communities as treaty parties (PDF, 144KB) Greg McIntyre
- The Cape York view (PDF, 82KB) Richard Ah Mat