Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- A ‘Roaring Decade’: Listening to the Australian gold-fields (PDF, 130KB) Diane Collins
- A Complex Kind of Training: Cities, technologies and sound in jazz-age Europe (PDF, 140KB) James Donald
- Speech, Children and the Federation Movement (PDF, 132KB) Alan Atkinson
- Sounds of History: Oratory and the fantasy of male power (PDF, 122KB) Marilyn Lake
- Hunting the Wild Reciter: Elocution and the Art of Recitation (PDF, 196KB) Peter Kirkpatrick
- World English? How an Australian Invented ‘Good American Speech’ (PDF, 184KB) Desley Deacon
- ‘The Australian Has a Lazy Way of Talking’: Australian character and accent, 1920s-1940s (PDF, 160KB) Joy Damousi
- Towards a History of the Australian Accent (PDF, 219KB) Bruce Moore
- Voice, Power and Modernity (PDF, 125KB) Bruce Johnson
- Modernity, Intimacy and Early Australian Commercial Radio (PDF, 126KB) Bridget Griffen-Foley
- Talking Salvation for the Silent Majority: Projecting new possibilities of modernity in the Australian cinema, 1929-1933 (PDF, 3.2MB) Brian Yecies