Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary Pages (PDF, 140KB)
- Contributors (PDF, 20KB)
- Introduction (PDF, 64KB) Alison Broinowski and Anthony Milner
- East Asian Perceptions of Australia (PDF, 36KB) Kevin Rudd
- Who Cares What They Think? John Winston Howard, William Morris Hughes and the Pragmatic Vision of Australian National Sovereignty (PDF, 105KB) John Fitzgerald
- ‘Before we came to this country, we heard that English laws were good and kind to everybody’: Chinese Immigrants’ Views of Colonial Australia (PDF, 94KB) Paul Macgregor
- Australian Lovers: Chingchong Chinaman, Chinese Identity and Hybrid Confusion (PDF, 86KB) Kam Louie
- Haigui: A Keyword for 2003 (PDF, 279KB) Ouyang Yu
- Murakami Haruki’s Sydney Diary (PDF, 67KB) Leith Morton
- Tampa in Japan: East Asian Responses to Australia’s Refugee Policy (PDF, 89KB) Tessa Morris-Suzuki
- ‘Japanese’ Accounts of Australia: A Player’s View (PDF, 58KB) Yoshio Sugimoto
- Reading Japanese Reflections of Australia (PDF, 56KB) Masayo Tada
AUSTRALIA AND ASIA
- Asian Australian Studies in Asia: China and Japan (PDF, 76KB) David Carter
- Australia as Model or Moral (PDF, 55KB) Alison Broinowski