Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary pages (PDF, 74KB)
- About the author (PDF, 54KB)
- Preface (PDF, 53KB)
- Acknowledgments (PDF, 51KB)
- Introduction (PDF, 77KB)
- Chapter summary (PDF, 58KB)
- Glossary (PDF, 70KB)
- Early work by the giants (PDF, 399KB)
- Theories of scientific progress: help or hindrance? (PDF, 233KB)
- Research techniques and ideas, 1950 on (PDF, 404KB)
- Perception of pattern, from 1950 on (PDF, 427KB)
- The retina, sensitivity and resolution (PDF, 891KB)
- Processing and colour vision (PDF, 764KB)
- Piloting: the visual control of flight (PDF, 648KB)
- The route to the goal, and back again (PDF, 555KB)
- Feature detectors and cues (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Recognition of the goal (PDF, 436KB)
- Do bees see shapes? (PDF, 838KB)
- Generalisation and cognitive abilities in bee vision (PDF, 261KB)