Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preface (PDF, 352KB) – Michael Haslam and Alison Crowther doi
- Stones, stories and science (PDF, 413KB) – Richard Fullagar doi
- Tom Loy publications: 1978-2006 (PDF, 345KB) doi
Principles: synthesis, classification and experiment
- The impact of micro-residue studies on South African Middle Stone Age research (PDF, 2.8MB) – Marlize Lombard and Lyn Wadley doi
- A microstratigraphic investigation into the longevity of archaeological residues Sterkfontein, South Africa (PDF, 2.1MB) – Peta Jane Jones doi
- Mountains and molehills: sample size in archaeological microscopic stone-tool residue analysis (PDF, 1.8MB) – Michael Haslam doi
- Building a comparative starch reference collection for Indonesia and its application to palaeoenvironmental and archaeological research (PDF, 2.6MB) – Carol Lentfer doi
- Morphometric analysis of calcium oxalate raphides and assessment of their taxonomic value for archaeological microfossil studies (PDF, 2.6MB) – Alison Crowther doi
- Starch granule taphonomy: the results of a two year field experiment (PDF, 1.6MB) – Huw Barton doi
- Toward using an oxidatively damaged plasmid as an intra- and inter-laboratory standard for ancient DNA studies (PDF, 657KB) – Loraine Watson, Julie Connell, Angus Harding and Cynthia Whitchurch doi
- Method validation in forensics and the archaeological sciences (PDF, 610KB) – Vojtech Hlinka, Iman Muharam and Vanessa K. Ientile doi
Practice: case studies in residue and ancient DNA analysis
- Mesolithic stone tool function and site types in Northern Bohemia, Czech Republic (PDF, 1.7MB) – Bruce Hardy and Jiri Svoboda doi
- Chloroplast DNA from 16th century waterlogged oak in a marine environment: initial steps in sourcing the Mary Rose timbers (PDF, 1.8MB) – Alanna K. Speirs, Glenn McConnachie and Andrew J. Lowe doi
- Drawing first blood from Maya ceramics at Copán, Honduras (PDF, 763KB) – Carney Matheson, Jay Hall and Rene Viel doi
- A molecular study of a rare Maori cloak (PDF, 853KB) – Katie Hartnup, Leon Huynen, Rangi Te Kanawa, Lara Shepherd, Craig Millar and David Lambert doi
- Tools on the surface: residue and use-wear analyses of stone artefacts from Camooweal, northwest Queensland (PDF, 1.9MB) – Jane Cooper and Sue Nugent doi
- Starch residues on grinding stones in private collections: a study of morahs from the tropical rainforests of NE Queensland (PDF, 1.8MB) – Judith Field, Richard Cosgrove, Richard Fullagar and Braddon Lance doi
- Aboriginal craft and subsistence activities at Native Well I and Native Well II, Central Western Highlands, Queensland: results of a residue and use-wear analysis of backed artefacts (PDF, 1.6MB) – Gail Robertson doi
- Deadly weapons: backed microliths from Narrabeen, New South Wales (PDF, 1.5MB) – Richard Fullagar, Josephine McDonald, Judith Field and Denise Donlon doi