Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Introduction (PDF, 219KB)
- Hierarchy, Founder Ideology and Austronesian Expansion (PDF, 200KB)
- The Elder and the Younger — Foreign and Autochthonous Origin and Hierarchy in the Cook Islands (PDF, 174KB)
- Rank, Hierarchy and Routes of Migration: Chieftainship in the Central Caroline Islands of Micronesia (PDF, 194KB)
- “All Threads Are White”: Iban Egalitarianism Reconsidered (PDF, 318KB)
- Origin, Hierarchy and Egalitarianism Among the Mandaya of Southeast Mindanao, Philippines (PDF, 198KB)
- The Transformation of Progenitor Lines of Origin: Patterns of Precedence in Eastern Indonesia (PDF, 205KB)
- Origin Structures and Precedence in the Social Orders of Tana ’Ai and Sikka (PDF, 224KB)
- Precedence Among the Domains of the Three Hearth Stones (PDF, 223KB)
- The Founding of the House and the Source of Life: Two Complementary Origin Structures in Buru Society (PDF, 195KB)
- Histories of Diversity, Hierarchies of Unity: The Politics of Origins in a South-West Moluccan Village (PDF, 213KB)
- Rivals and Wives: Affinal Politics and the Tongan Ramage (PDF, 493KB)
- The Politics of Marriage and the Marriage of Polities in Gowa, South Sula Wesi, During the 16th and 17th Centuries (PDF, 301KB)
- The Cultural Construction of Rank, Identity and Ethnic Origins in the Sulu Archipelago (PDF, 169KB)