Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary pages (PDF, 77KB)
- Foreword (PDF, 97KB) – Malcolm Fraser
- Contributors (PDF, 96KB)
- Acknowledgments (PDF, 79KB)
- Abbreviations and acronyms (PDF, 78KB)
- Introduction (PDF, 111KB)
- Gone with hardly a trace: deportees in immigration policy (PDF, 138KB) – Glenn Nicholls doi
- The unfinished business of Indigenous citizenship in Australia and New Zealand (PDF, 158KB) – Roderic Pitty doi
- Oblivious to the obvious? Australian asylum-seeker policies and the use of the past (PDF, 142KB) – Klaus Neumann doi
- ‘A modern-day concentration camp’: using history to make sense of Australian immigration detention centres (PDF, 133KB) – Amy Nethery doi
- Refugees between pasts and politics: sovereignty and memory in the Tampa crisis (PDF, 154KB) – J. Olaf Kleist doi
- Looking back and glancing sideways: refugee policy and multicultural nation-building in New Zealand (PDF, 140KB) – Ann Beaglehole doi
- Testing times: the problem of ‘history’ in the Howard Government’s Australian citizenship test (PDF, 142KB) – Gwenda Tavan doi