Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
Part 1: Reflections on Freedom
- Federalism and the engine room of prosperity (PDF, 117KB) – The Hon Wayne Swan MP, Treasurer of Australia doi
- Does federalism work? (PDF, 114KB) – The Hon John Brumby MP, Premier of Victoria doi
- What has federalism ever done for us? (PDF, 114KB) – The Hon Anna Bligh MP, Premier of Queensland doi
- Splicing the perspectives of the Commonwealth and states into a workable federation (PDF, 118KB) – Terry Moran AO doi
- The reform imperative and Commonwealth–state relations (PDF, 125KB) – The Hon John Brumby MP, Treasurer of Victoria doi
- Fostering creativity and innovation in cooperative federalism—the uncertainty and risk dimensions (PDF, 127KB) – Mark Matthews doi
Part 2. Reflections on policy and politics
- Cabinet government: Australian style (PDF, 97KB) – Patrick Weller AO doi
- Consumers and small business: at the heart of the Trade Practices Act (PDF, 136KB) – Graeme Samuel AO doi
- Constitutional litigation and the Commonwealth (PDF, 108KB) – David Bennett AC QC doi
- Evidence-based policy making: what is it and how do we get it? (PDF, 155KB) – Gary Banks AO doi
Part 3. Reflections on governance and leadership
- The two cultures re-examined: a perspective on leadership and policy management in business and government (PDF, 143KB) – Philip M Burgess doi
- Leading the Australian Defence Force (PDF, 115KB) – Air Chief Marshall Angus Houston AO AFC doi
- Essential linkages—situating political governance, transparency and accountability in the broader reform agenda (PDF, 140KB) – Andrew Murray doi
Part 4. Reflections on adaptive change
- Higher education: it’s time … (to change the policy framework) (PDF, 120KB) – Ian Chubb AC doi
- Achieving a ‘conservation economy’ in indigenous communities: a Canadian model for greening and growing local economies (PDF, 121KB) – Ian Gill doi
- From crystal sets to the double helix in one journalist’s lifetime (PDF, 137KB) – Peter Thompson doi