Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary (PDF, 208KB)
- 2012 Valedictory Series Foreword (PDF, 72KB)
- Introduction (PDF, 121KB) – Andrew Podger and John Wanna
- Yes, minister – the privileged position of secretaries (PDF, 103KB) – Roger Beale doi
- My fortunate career and some parting remarks (PDF, 109KB) – Andrew Podger doi
- Performance management and the performance pay paradox (PDF, 191KB) – Allan Hawke doi
- Thirty-eight years toiling in the vineyard of public service (PDF, 141KB) – Ric Smith doi
- The last count – the importance of official statistics to the democratic process (PDF, 124KB) – Dennis Trewin doi
- Balancing life at home and away in the Australian Public Service (PDF, 149KB) – Joanna Hewitt doi
- In the national interest (PDF, 130KB) – Peter Shergold doi
- Impressions, observations and lessons from a Canberra outsider (PDF, 133KB) – Robert Cornall doi
- An unlikely secretary – a boy from the outer agencies (PDF, 102KB) – Mark Sullivan doi
- As if for a thousand years – the challenges ahead for the APS (PDF, 130KB) – David Borthwick doi
- Reflections of an ‘unabashed rationalist’ (PDF, 123KB) – Peter Boxall doi
- Our custodial role for the quality of advisory relations at the centre of government (PDF, 219KB) – Patricia Scott doi
- A road less travelled – reflecting on three professional pillars of support (PDF, 115KB) – Michael L’Estrange doi
- There’s a telegram for you – fashioning Australia’s unique model of public administration (PDF, 126KB) – Ken Matthews doi
- The opportunities, challenges and policy responses for the Australian economy (PDF, 1.1MB) – Ken Henry doi
- The boss in the yellow suit − leading service delivery reform (PDF, 114KB) – Lynelle Briggs doi
- The challenges for the public service in protecting Australia’s democracy in the future (PDF, 108KB) – Terry Moran doi