Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Introduction (PDF, 110KB)
- The Consummate ‘Fixer’ (PDF, 107KB) – Peter Shergold, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- From Timber to Tax (PDF, 128KB) – Ken Henry, The Treasury
- The Devil’s Advocate (PDF, 102KB) – Ian Watt, Department of Finance and Administration
- Starting from Scratch (PDF, 110KB) – Patricia Scott, Department of Human Services
- The Reluctant Chief (PDF, 115KB) – Ric Smith, Department of Defence
- The Man with a ‘Promising Past’ (PDF, 120KB) – Michael L’Estrange, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Californian Dreamer (PDF, 109KB) – Lisa Paul, Department of Education, Science and Training
- The ‘New’ Old Broom (PDF, 125KB) – Andrew Metcalfe, Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs
- The Company Man (PDF, 128KB) – Mark Paterson, Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources
- Making the Best of It (PDF, 122KB) – Mark Sullivan, Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Going ‘Bush’ (PDF, 117KB) – Joanna Hewitt, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- The People’s Choice (PDF, 120KB) – Jeff Harmer, Department of Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs
- The Unabashed Rationalist (PDF, 120KB) – Peter Boxall, Department of Employment and Workplace Relations
- Environmental Angler (PDF, 124KB) – David Borthwick, Department of Environment and Heritage
- Keeping the Customer Satisfied (PDF, 116KB) – Robert Cornall, Attorney-General’s Department
- The Pragmatist (PDF, 122KB) – Mike Taylor, Department of Transport and Regional Services
- Pioneering Survivor (PDF, 126KB) – Helen Williams, Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts
- Taking the ‘Hospital Pass’ (PDF, 123KB) – Jane Halton, Department of Health and Ageing