Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary pages (PDF, 215KB)
- List of Maps, Figures and Tables (PDF, 86KB)
- Acknowledgments (PDF, 79KB)
- List of Abbreviations (PDF, 108KB)
- Note on Transliteration (PDF, 73KB)
- Map 1 Tajikistan’s Neighbours and Major Cities (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Introduction (PDF, 325KB)
- Tajiks on the Crossroads of History, from Antiquity to the Age of Colonialism (PDF, 144KB)
- Forging Tajik Identity: Ethnic Origins, National–Territorial Delimitation and Nationalism (PDF, 188KB)
- State Formation in the Soviet Era, 1917 to the 1960s (PDF, 190KB)
- Traditional Society and Regionalism in Soviet Tajikistan (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Formal and Informal Political Institutions in Soviet Tajikistan (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Experimentation, Turmoil and Fragmentation under Gorbachev, 1985–1991 (PDF, 304KB)
- The Rise of Opposition, the Contraction of the State and the Road to Independence (PDF, 3.0MB)
- Islam in Society and Politics (PDF, 310KB)
- From Political Confrontation to Civil War, 1991–1992 (PDF, 318KB)