Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary pages (PDF, 206KB)
- Acknowledgements (PDF, 63KB)
- List of maps, figures and tables (PDF, 65KB)
- Glossary and acronyms (PDF, 121KB)
- Maps (PDF, 884KB)
- Introduction (PDF, 126KB)
Part I — France in the Pacific to the 1990s
- The French Pacific presence to World War II (PDF, 562KB)
- France manages independence demands and nuclear testing 1945–1990s (PDF, 1.0MB)
- Regional diplomatic offensive 1980s–1990s (PDF, 289KB)
Part II — France in the Pacific: 1990s to present
- New Caledonia: Implementation of the Noumea Accord and political evolution from 1998 (PDF, 3.4MB)
- French Polynesia: Autonomy or independence? (PDF, 679KB)
- France’s engagement in the region from the 1990s: France, its collectivities, the European Union and the region (PDF, 2.6MB)