Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary pages (PDF, 243KB)
- Illustrations (PDF, 117KB)
- Foreword (PDF, 113KB)
- Preface (PDF, 141KB)
- My family background, 1890 to 1941 (PDF, 273KB)
- Evacuation, Mulgoa to Semaphore, 1938 to 1945 (PDF, 220KB)
- Racial theory and a religious solution, 1920s to 1945 (PDF, 276KB)
- Pembroke Street to St Francis House, 1946 to 1949 (PDF, 6.2MB)
- Educated men or Christian misfits? 1950 to 1956 (PDF, 211KB)
- Life after St Francis House, 1957 to 1964 (PDF, 200KB)
- Race relations, work and education, 1964 to 1968 (PDF, 249KB)
- University and Aboriginal politics, 1969 to 1971 (PDF, 252KB)
- Redfern and the early 1970s (PDF, 183KB)
- The Northern Territory, 1972 (PDF, 209KB)
- A new era in Aboriginal politics, 1974 to 1981 (PDF, 233KB)
- The education years: 1980s (PDF, 208KB)
- The 1990s and beyond (PDF, 205KB)