Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary Pages (PDF, 15KB)
- Introduction (PDF, 15KB)
- Dedication to Carol Kendall (PDF, 17KB)
- Politics and demography in a contact situation: the establishment of Giles Meteorological Station in the Rawlinson Ranges, West Australia (PDF, 681KB) – Laurent Dousset
- Dislocating the self: anthropological field work in the Kimberley, Western Australia, 1934–1936 (PDF, 507KB) – Geoffrey Gray
- The stolen generations, the historian and the court room (PDF, 330KB) – Peter Read
- Exploring ‘Aboriginal’ sites in Sydney: a shifting politics of place? (PDF, 1.1MB) – Melinda Hinkson
- The experimental 1860s: Charles Walter’s images of Coranderrk Aboriginal Station, Victoria A. Dirk Moses (PDF, 4.6MB) – Jane Lydon
- Mapping Aboriginal nations: the ‘nation’ concept of late nineteenth century anthropologists in Australia (PDF, 1.0MB) – Kevin Blackburn
- The McLean Report: legitimising Victoria’s new assimilationism (PDF, 461KB) – Corinne Manning
- The Dhudhuroa language of northeastern Victoria: a description based on historical sources (PDF, 850KB) – Barry J Blake and Julie Reid
- Review article: Reality, history and hands-on ethnography: the journals of George Augustus Robinson at Port Phillip 1839–1852 (PDF, 1.1MB) – Niel Gunson
- Notes and documents (PDF, 944KB)
- Book review (PDF, 578KB)
- Contributors (PDF, 258KB)