Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary pages (PDF, 175KB)
- Illustrations (PDF, 58KB)
- Acknowledgments (PDF, 44KB)
- Introduction (PDF, 158KB)
- ‘This land of Barbarians’: missions and protectorates begin (PDF, 1.3MB)
- ‘Godless political experiments’: philanthropy and governance (PDF, 648KB)
- ‘All white masters belong to your King’: race, identity and empire (PDF, 691KB)
- ‘Our country all gone’: rights, charity and the loss of land (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Deserving poverty? Rationing and philanthropy (PDF, 892KB)
- Keeping body and soul together: creating material ‘civilisation’ (PDF, 1.1MB)
- ‘Can these dry bones live?’ Religious life and afterlife (PDF, 1.3MB)
- ‘This bitter reproach’: destruction, guilt and the colonial future (PDF, 2.0MB)