Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Australia, the Asia-Pacific and the social sciences (PDF, 218KB) – Vera Mackie, Carol Johnson and Tessa Morris-Suzuki
Part I: Engaging diversity in the social sciences
- Australia in the global dynamics of social science: De-centring Europe and de-mythologising the ‘Asian Century’ (PDF, 190KB) – Raewyn Connell
- Beyond divisions and towards internationalism: Social sciences in the twenty-first century (PDF, 154KB) – Sujata Patel
Part II: Regional issues in the social sciences
- Inter-Asia referencing and shifting frames of comparison (PDF, 176KB) – Chua Beng Huat
- Beyond the culturalist problematic: Towards a global social science in the Asian Century? (PDF, 162KB) – Kanishka Jayasuriya
- Voices and choices in reproductive rights: Scholarship and activism (PDF, 181KB) – Sylvia Estrada-Claudio
- Beyond Consumasia: The neglected challenges (PDF, 169KB) – Tessa Morris-Suzuki
- Rethinking economics in the Asian Century: The market and the state in China (PDF, 175KB) – Leong H. Liew
Part III: Australian social sciences in the Asian century and beyond
- Australia’s future in the Asian Century (PDF, 187KB) – Ken Henry
- Asia literacy: A deeply problematic metaphor (PDF, 175KB) – Ariel Heryanto
- Challenges for Australian higher education in the Asian Century (PDF, 518KB) – Simon Marginson