Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary Pages(PDF, 173KB)
- List of illustrations (PDF, 78KB)
- List of contributors (PDF, 128KB)
- Preface (PDF, 86KB)
- Brokering in colonial exploration: Biographies, geographies and histories (PDF, 141KB) – Tiffany Shellam, Maria Nugent, Shino Konishi and Allison Cadzow
- Bennelong and Gogy: Strategic brokers in colonial New South Wales (PDF, 167KB) – Shino Konishi
- ‘Race’, intimacy and go-betweens in French–West Papuan encounters (PDF, 185KB) – Nicole Starbuck
- Aboriginal guides in the Hunter Valley, New South Wales (PDF, 173KB) – Mark Dunn
- Guided by her: Aboriginal women’s participation in Australian expeditions (PDF, 1.8MB) – Allison Cadzow
- Bobby Roberts: Intermediary and outlaw of Western Australia’s south coast (PDF, 182KB) – Clint Bracknell
- Mediating the imaginary and the space of encounter in the Papuan Gulf (PDF, 1.7MB) – Dario Di Rosa
- Local agency and William MacGregor’s exploration of the Trobriand Islands (PDF, 1.7MB) – Andrew Connelly
- Explorers & co. in interior New Guinea, 1872–1928 (PDF, 1.7MB) – Chris Ballard