Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preface (PDF, 352KB) Michael Haslam & Alison Crowther
- Stones, stories and science (PDF, 413KB)Richard Fullagar
- Tom Loy publications: 1978-2006 (PDF, 345KB)
PRINCIPLES: synthesis, classification and experiment
- The impact of micro-residue studies on South African Middle Stone Age research (PDF, 2.8MB) Marlize Lombard & Lyn Wadley
- A microstratigraphic investigation into the longevity of archaeological residues (PDF, 2.1MB)Sterkfontein, South Africa. Peta Jane Jones
- Mountains and molehills: sample size in archaeological microscopic stone-tool residue analysis (PDF, 1.8MB)Michael Haslam
- Building a comparative starch reference collection for Indonesia and its application to palaeoenvironmental and archaeological research (PDF, 2.6MB)Carol Lentfer
- Morphometric analysis of calcium oxalate raphides and assessment of their taxonomic value for archaeological microfossil studies (PDF, 2.6MB)Alison Crowther
- Starch granule taphonomy: the results of a two year field experiment (PDF, 1.6MB)Huw Barton
- Toward using an oxidatively damaged plasmid as an intra- and inter-laboratory standard for ancient DNA studies (PDF, 657KB)Loraine Watson, Julie Connell, Angus Harding & Cynthia Whitchurch
- Method validation in forensics and the archaeological sciences (PDF, 610KB)Vojtech Hlinka, Iman Muharam & Vanessa K. Ientile
PRACTICE: case studies in residue and ancient DNA analysis
- Mesolithic stone tool function and site types in Northern Bohemia, Czech Republic (PDF, 1.7MB)Bruce Hardy & Jiri Svoboda
- Chloroplast DNA from 16th century waterlogged oak in a marine environment: initial steps in sourcing the Mary Rose timbers (PDF, 1.8MB)Alanna K. Speirs, Glenn McConnachie & Andrew J. Lowe
- Drawing first blood from Maya ceramics at Copán, Honduras (PDF, 763KB)Carney Matheson, Jay Hall & Rene Viel
- A molecular study of a rare Maori cloak (PDF, 853KB)Katie Hartnup, Leon Huynen, Rangi Te Kanawa, Lara Shepherd, Craig Millar & David Lambert
- Tools on the surface: residue and use-wear analyses of stone artefacts from Camooweal, northwest Queensland (PDF, 1.9MB)Jane Cooper & Sue Nugent
- Starch residues on grinding stones in private collections: a study of morahs from the tropical rainforests of NE Queensland (PDF, 1.8MB)Judith Field, Richard Cosgrove, Richard Fullagar & Braddon Lance
- Aboriginal craft and subsistence activities at Native Well I and Native Well II, Central Western Highlands, Queensland: results of a residue and use-wear analysis of backed artefacts (PDF, 1.6MB)Gail Robertson
- Deadly weapons: backed microliths from Narrabeen, New South Wales (PDF, 1.5MB)Richard Fullagar, Josephine McDonald, Judith Field & Denise Donlon