Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary pages (PDF, 202KB)
- Acknowledgements (PDF, 104KB)
- Contributors (PDF, 126KB)
- Acronyms and Abbreviations (PDF, 96KB)
- Introduction: The Retreat from the Critical (PDF, 158KB) – Margaret Thornton
Part I: Theorising the Modern University
- Disinterested Scholars or Interested Parties? The Public’s Investment in Self-interested Universities (PDF, 158KB) – Hannah Forsyth
- Critical Theory and the New University: Reflections on Time and Technology (PDF, 149KB) – Peter Beilharz
- Gendered Hierarchies of Knowledge and the Prestige Factor: How Philosophy Survives Market Rationality (PDF, 147KB) – Fiona Jenkins
Part II: Markets, Managers and Mandarins
- What’s to be Explained? And is it so Bad? (PDF, 212KB) – Geoffrey Brennan
- Higher Education ‘Markets’ and University Governance (PDF, 130KB) – Tony Aspromourgos
- Transforming the Public University: Market Citizenship and Higher Education Regulatory Projects (PDF, 142KB) – Kanishka Jayasuriya
- The State of the Universities (PDF, 182KB) – Glenn Withers
Part III: Education for the ‘Real World’
- The Modern University and its Transaction with Students (PDF, 195KB) – Nigel Palmer
- Markets, Discipline, Students: Governing Student Conduct and Performance in the University (PDF, 160KB) – Bruce Lindsay
- ‘Selling the dream’: Law School Branding and the Illusion of Choice (PDF, 169KB) – Margaret Thornton and Lucinda Shannon
Part IV: Conditions of Knowledge Production
- Disciplining Academic Women: Gender Restructuring and the Labour of Research in Entrepreneurial Universities (PDF, 312KB) – Jill Blackmore
- Functional Dystopia: Diversity, Contestability and New Media in the Academy (PDF, 143KB) – Jenny Corbett, Andrew MacIntyre and Inger Mewburn
Part V: Telling It How It Is
- A Design for Learning? A Case Study of the Hidden Costs of Curriculum and Organisational Change (PDF, 167KB) – Diane Kirkby and Kerreen Reiger
- ‘Smoking Guns’: Reflections on Truth and Politics in the University (PDF, 198KB) – Judith Bessant
Part VI: University Futures?
- Seeking the Necessary ‘Resources of Hope’ in the Neoliberal University (PDF, 671KB) – Jane Kenway, Rebecca Boden and Johannah Fahey