Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Introduction: democracy and the military in comparative perspective (PDF, 238KB) R.J. May, Stephanie Lawson, and Viberto Selochan
- The military and democracy in Indonesia (PDF, 164KB) Michael R.J. Vatikiotis
- The military and democracy in Thailand (PDF, 159KB) Suchit Bunbongkarn
- The military and the fragile democracy of the Philippines (PDF, 138KB) Viberto Selochan
- Burma’s struggle for democracy: the army against the people (PDF, 175KB) Josef Silverstein
- Pakistan: civil-military relations in a praetorian state (PDF, 141KB) Hasan Askari Rizvi
- The military and democracy in Bangladesh (PDF, 195KB) Emajuddin Ahamed
- Patterns of military rule and prospects for democracy in South Korea (PDF, 137KB) Yung Myung Kim
- The military versus democracy in Fiji: problems for contemporary political development (PDF, 153KB) Stephanie Lawson
- Government and the military in Papua New Guinea (PDF, 233KB) R.J. May