Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Understanding the Macassans: A regional approach (PDF, 215KB) Marshall Clark and Sally K. May
- Studying trepangers (PDF, 147KB) Campbell Macknight
- Crossing the great divide: Australia and eastern Indonesia (PDF, 182KB) Anthony Reid
- Histories with traction: Macassan contact in the framework of Muslim Australian history (PDF, 111KB) Regina Ganter
- Interpreting the Macassans: Language exchange in historical encounters (PDF, 969KB) Paul Thomas
- Unbirri’s pre-Macassan legacy, or how the Yolngu became black (PDF, 123KB) Ian S. McIntosh
- ‘An Arnhem Land adventure’: Representations of Macassan–Indigenous Australian connections in popular geographical magazines (PDF, 726KB) Rebecca Bilous
- Rock art evidence for Macassan–Aboriginal contact in northwestern Arnhem Land (PDF, 453KB) Paul S. C. Taçon and Sally K. May
- Drug substances introduced by the Macassans: The mystery of the tobacco pipe (PDF, 514KB) Maggie Brady
- Tangible heritage of the Macassan–Aboriginal encounter in contemporary South Sulawesi (PDF, 2.5MB) Marshall Clark
- Traditional and ‘modern’ trepang fisheries on the border of the Indonesian and Australian fishing zones (PDF, 1.0MB) Dedi Supriadi Adhuri
- Travelling the ‘Malay Road’: Recognising the heritage significance of the Macassan maritime trade route (PDF, 1.2MB) Sandy Blair and Nicholas Hall