Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Introduction: Indigenous and Minority Placenames – Australian and International Perspectives (PDF, 159KB) – Ian D. Clark, Luise Hercus, and Laura Kostanski
- Comitative placenames in central NSW (PDF, 455KB) – David Nash
- The diminutive suffix -dool in placenames of central north NSW (PDF, 288KB)- David Nash
- Placenames as a guide to language distribution in the Upper Hunter, and the landnám problem in Australian toponomastics (PDF, 341KB) – Jim Wafer
- Illuminating the cave names of Gundungurra country (PDF, 1.1MB) – Jim Smith
- Doing things with toponyms: the pragmatics of placenames in Western Arnhem Land (PDF, 692KB) – Murray Garde
- Locating Seven Rivers (PDF, 2.5MB) – Fiona Powell
- ‘Many were killed from falling over the cliffs’: The naming of Mount Wheeler, Central Queensland (PDF, 290KB) – Jonathan Richards
- Saltwater Placenames around Mer in the Torres Strait (PDF, 448KB) – Nick Piper
- Pinning down Kaurna names: Linguistic issues arising in the development of the Kaurna Place Names Database (PDF, 3.3MB) – Rob Amery and Vincent (Jack) Kanya Buckskin
- One name for one Place – but it is not always so (PDF, 1.7MB) – Luise Hercus
- Why did squatters in colonial Victoria use Indigenous placenames for their sheep stations? (PDF, 2.0MB) – Fred (David) Cahir
- Multiple Aboriginal placenames in western and central Victoria (PDF, 143KB) – Ian D. Clark
- Dissonance surrounding the Aboriginal origin of a selection of placenames in Victoria, Australia: Lessons in lexical ambiguity (PDF, 143KB) – Ian D. Clark
- Duel-Names: How toponyms (placenames) can represent hegemonic histories and alternative narratives (PDF, 3.3MB) – Laura Kostanski
- Water for country, words for water: Indigenous placenames of north-west Victoria and south-west New South Wales (PDF, 2.1MB) – Edward Ryan
- Obtuse anglers: The linguistics and ethnography of fishing ground names on Norfolk Island (PDF, 523KB) – Joshua Nash
- Sámi placenames, power relations and representation (PDF, 294KB) – Kaisa Rautio Helander
- Please adjust your bearings (PDF, 2.9MB) – Huia Pacey
- Accommodating the Inuit majority: Traditional placenames in Nunavut today (PDF, 3.3MB) – Lynn Peplinski
- Khoisan indigenous toponymic identity in South Africa (PDF, 4.0MB) – Peter E. Raper