Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary pages (PDF, 0.2MB)
- Acknowledgements (PDF, 0.1MB)
- Introduction (PDF, 0.1MB) – Arthur Stockwin
- Reflections and engagements (PDF, 0.3MB)
- Australian–Japanese relations: The first phase 1859–1891 (PDF, 0.3MB)
- The Lady Rowena and the Eamont: The 19th century (PDF, 0.2MB)
- The Japanese in the Australian pearling industry (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Japanese in the Northern Territory, 1884–1902 (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Karayuki-san: Japanese prostitutes in Australia, 1887–1916 (I & II) (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Immigration in Australian–Japanese relations, 1871–1971 (PDF, 0.8MB)
- An immigrant family (PDF, 0.2MB)
- Private diplomacy in the 1936 trade dispute with Japan (PDF, 0.7MB)
- Manchester v. Japan: The imperial background of the Australian trade diversion dispute with Japan, 1936 (PDF, 0.8MB)
- Correspondence on the trade diversion episode (PDF, 2.1MB)
- Japan and the Australian wool industry, 1868–1936 (PDF, 0.1MB)
- James Murdoch (1856–1921): Historian, teacher and much else besides (PDF, 1.6MB)