Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Introduction (PDF, 381KB)
- Roman Jakobson and the comparative study of parallelism (PDF, 573KB)
- Trajectories in the continuing study of parallelism (PDF, 274KB)
- Semantic parallelism in Rotenese ritual language (PDF, 2.6MB)
- ‘Our ancestors spoke in pairs’ (PDF, 2.0MB)
- On binary categories and primary symbols (PDF, 3.6MB)
- Category and complement (PDF, 255KB)
- Exploring oral formulaic language (PDF, 431KB)
The Traditional Oral Canon
- Genealogies of the Sun and Moon (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Manu Kama’s road, Tepa Nilu’s path (PDF, 5.6MB)
- Genealogy and topogeny (PDF, 2.1MB)
- Blood-red millet: An origin narrative (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Admonitions of the ancestors: Giving voice to the deceased (PDF, 225KB)
- To the aroma of the name: The celebration of a ritual of rock and tree (PDF, 430KB)
The Christian Oral Canon
- The appropriation of Biblical knowledge in the creation of new narratives of origin (PDF, 351KB)
- Adam and Eve on the island of Rote (PDF, 302KB)
- The Rotenese sermon as a linguistic performance (PDF, 2.3MB)
- Present and future research (PDF, 5.0MB)
- Bibliography (PDF, 239KB)
- Appendix: Petrus Malesi’s Recitation Of ‘The Coming Of Rice’ (PDF, 253KB)
- Index (PDF, 130KB)
Malesi Recitation 1978 - Origin of Rice and Millet
A video recording of Malesi's 1978 recitation of "The Origin of Rice and Millet"