Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
- Preliminary Pages (PDF, 283KB)
- Foreword (PDF, 79KB)
- Introduction: The rahui: A tool for environmental protection or for political assertion? (PDF, 325KB) – Tamatoa Bambridge
Part I – Tapu and rahui: Traditions and pluralistic organisation of society
- Political power and rahui in ancient Polynesian society (PDF, 197KB) – Bernard Rigo
- Ancient magic and religious trends of the rāhui on the atoll of Anaa, Tuamotu (PDF, 1.1MB) – Frédéric Torrente
- Tapu and kahui in the Marquesas (PDF, 131KB) – Pierre Ottino-Garanger, Marie-Noëlle Ottino-Garanger, Bernard Rigo and Edgar Tetahiotupa
- I uta i tai — a preliminary account of ra’ui on Mangaia, Cook Islands (PDF, 2.2MB) – Rod Dixon
- Technical exploitation and ‘ritual’ management of resources in Napuka and Tepoto (Tuamotu Archipelago) (PDF, 473KB) – Eric Conte
- The law of rahui in the Society Islands (PDF, 185KB) – Tamatoa Bambridge
Part II – Rahui today as state‑custom pluralism
- Protection of natural resources through a sacred prohibition: The rahui on Rapa iti (PDF, 468KB) – Christian Ghasarian
- From traditional to modern management in Fakarava (PDF, 414KB) – Lorin Thorax
- European contact and systems of governance on Tongareva (PDF, 143KB) – Charlotte N. L. Chambers
- Traditional marine resources and their use in contemporary Hawai‘i (PDF, 294KB) – Alan M. Friedlander, Janna M. Shackeroff and John N. Kittinger
- Providing for rāhui in the law of Aotearoa New Zealand (PDF, 197KB) – Jacinta Ruru and Nicola Wheen
- Uncanny rights and the ambiguity of state authority in the Gambier Islands (PDF, 163KB) – Alexander Mawyer