Please read Conditions of use before downloading the formats.
If your web browser doesn't automatically open these files, please download a PDF reader application such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To copy a chapter DOI link, right-click (on a PC) or control+click (on a Mac) and then select ‘Copy link location’.
Part 1: Reflections on Freedom
- Federalism and the engine room of prosperity (PDF, 117KB)
- Does federalism work? (PDF, 114KB)
- What has federalism ever done for us? (PDF, 114KB)
- Splicing the perspectives of the Commonwealth and states into a workable federation (PDF, 118KB)
- The reform imperative and Commonwealth–state relations (PDF, 125KB)
- Fostering creativity and innovation in cooperative federalism—the uncertainty and risk dimensions (PDF, 127KB)
Part 2. Reflections on policy and politics
- Cabinet government: Australian style (PDF, 97KB)
- Consumers and small business: at the heart of the Trade Practices Act (PDF, 136KB)
- Constitutional litigation and the Commonwealth (PDF, 108KB)
- Evidence-based policy making: what is it and how do we get it? (PDF, 155KB)
Part 3. Reflections on governance and leadership
- The two cultures re-examined: a perspective on leadership and policy management in business and government (PDF, 143KB)
- Leading the Australian Defence Force (PDF, 115KB)
- Essential linkages—situating political governance, transparency and accountability in the broader reform agenda (PDF, 140KB)